What is the difference between Sour Milk and Buttermilk?
First lets answer what is similar. Both Sour Milk and Buttermilk have some acidity to them and some recipes will need the acidity to react with baking soda or baking powder.
What is Sour Milk
- Milk that that has naturally soured or has had an acid like vinegar or lemon juice added to it. Some recipes will have this as an ingredient especially some baking recipes.
- Sour milk is a good substitute for Buttermilk and easy to make with the recipe I just linked to.
What is Buttermilk
- Buttermilk used to be the liquid left over after making butter.
- Today the Buttermilk you find in grocery stores is milk that has a bacteria culture added to it and allowed to ferment. This is what gives it the tangy flavor.
- Want to know more? Wikipedia has some good information and history if you are interested.
Wikipedia – Buttermilk