This rice pudding recipe is inspired by my mom’s rice pudding and Indian rice pudding I’ve had years ago. The spices are all optional so you can make it to suite your taste.
It uses already cooked rice which makes it a great recipe for using leftover rice.
Rice pudding (no eggs)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 pods green cardamon pods optional
- 1 tbs butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Remove the seeds from the cardamom pods and grind them in a mortar and pestle.
- Add all the ingredients into a pot
- Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and simmer
- Simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes stirring often until it starts to thicken about halfway. Not runny but not really thick either.
- Cook and then refrigerate. It will thicken more as it cools